Water is the indispensable in our lives. We drink it to survive, use it for cleaning, and for numerous things in our household. However, water can also become our enemy, especially when it comes to leakage that could cause significant damage and even health issues to your family.
Therefore, you should find a professional service that will provide you with comprehensive leak detection in Houston, so that you can reduce the hassle and significant expenses. There are ways to determine that by yourself, and we will show you how to do it.
If you cannot detect anything by using these techniques, the best thing that you can do is to call professional and certified service to get a thorough analysis.
Check Water Meter
The simplest way to determine if you have leakage in the plumbing system is by checking your water meter. In case that you don’t know where it is, we recommend you to call Billing Departement to get the exact location.
- First, you have to be sure that you don’t use the water both outside and inside your house.
- When you get the location of the water meter, you will be able to check the leak indicator to see whether it moves. Everything depends on the type of meter you have, but in most cases, you will notice a silver wheel that rotates when water is flowing through it or by checking small triangular shaped dial. If dial starts to move, and no one uses water inside or outside your house, then probably you have leakage.
- The other solution is to stop using water inside and outside your home and check the meter readings and write it down. Get back to the meter in about two hours and take another reading. If the dial has changed, then you have leakage.
Locate a Leak
Have in mind that this is just a beginning because determining that you have leakage is the most natural thing. The next step is to determine if the leak is outside or inside your house:
- First, you have to find a main valve of water and shut off it to prevent further damage due to leaking. You will find the water valve in garage or basement next to an outdoor faucet or below the outdoor faucet.
- You have to follow the leak indicator for movement by using the first method we’ve mentioned above. The idea is to make sure that you shut off the water entirely in your entire household. If the leak indicator stops changing, or if you notice that everything is the way it is, then you probably have leakage inside your house. On the other hand, if you see that the leak indicator continues to show changes, then the leak is outside, probably between the house and the meter.
- If you cannot locate the leakage, you should call the plumber as soon as possible.
If you have problems with leaking faucets, you should understand that it happens due to worn out rubber washer. You will notice a machine under the handle of the sink. It is straightforward to replace it, but you need proper tools.
First, you have to shut off the water under the sink, or shut the entire water system on the main valve. You will be able to find a new faucet in any hardware and appliance store in your neighborhood.
One of the most significant problems that could happen in your toilet is leaking, because it can waste hundreds of gallons of water and you won’t even notice it. Also if you have a small leak, that could cause significant water bill and wasted water over time. The best thing about it is that you can quickly repair leaking toilets without paying too much money.
If you want to determine if you have a leaking toilet, we recommend you to remove the tank lid and place a few drops of some color in the back of the tank. You can use dye tabs as well to notice leaks.
Wait for an hour and avoid flushing in that time, and then check in the toilet bowl to see if it went through. If water is clear as always, then it’s not leaking. If you notice a food coloring in the bowl, then you have leakage.
You can click here to get a comprehensive guide on how to fix a running toilet.